Monday, February 06, 2006

Chapter 6 - Flashback

After Bunny falls asleep from the boxing he goes deep back into a familiar scene...back on earth

It was bright out. Sun was shining across the campus as kids strolled from building to building during the open hours. And here I was stuck in a dark and rather musty room. Why, I hadn't the slightest idea...
The room was poorly lit with the exception of the windows that overlooked the campus. In front of me was a large wooden desk with papers stacked four feet high, and with pens and pencils scattered throughout the empty spaces. On the walls were countless degrees, awards, achievements and newspaper articles on the President of the college. Trophies also had a slight glimmer in the summertime sun.
There I sat in a office chair in front of the desk, while the president and a VIP of a committee were talking just out of my hearing range for a few minutes, then the president turned to me. He flipped through a folder full of papers on regarding what I had no clue. Then he glanced at me finally.
"Mr. Greenway, I must daresay you are one of the brightest students around." He flipped through the papers some more. "36 on your ACT, 1600 on your SAT, every test and quiz given you aced...and your SKILLS test I must say...is quite intimidating...
However, your quite a slacker. Not arriving to classes, not writing about what your assignment is on, and nearly causing a explosive charge to explode last week in class 'just to see what would happen.' " He frowned at this, but I couldn't hold back a smirk on my face. Come on, why just study the materials when you can get your hands dirty?
"Permission to speak freely sir" I asked.
"If you must..." The president said. Though he would have regretted saying that.
"The assignments are lame, the instructors are more lazy than I am, we aren’t learning anything practical from making the same things over and over again, and Mr. Duhon is a big...”
"Enough!" Growled the president. Now he was a bit redder in the face. "The University of INSDA takes only the top 1% of all applications in the nation. Most students are proud to be here, since millions are not accepted. Therefore if you wish to downgrade your status to a regular little schoolboy, go home." He smirked a slight smile of victory, thinking he had cut my nerves and give him the win.
"Very well then, it was pleasant to stay here." I said. "But this place isn't for me." I extended my hand.
"Mr. Greenway, I strongly urge you to reconsider...you're giving up a once in a lifetime education that only we can offer!" He circled around the desk to my side to try and comfort me or beg me to stay or something. Needless to say, he didn't make it. I made my hand to a fist and gave him my answer again since he didn't listen the first time around. While the president was knocked out on the floor, I turned to the VIP, who was still at the desk watching all this.
"Sorry mate, he was in my way. Sorry to jet, but I'm in a hurry." As I packed my things the VIP spoke up.
"Perhaps I can offer you a change of pace?" He said. He took out a pamphlet and gave it to me, as well as a business card. "Take these two things and look it over. Might be something you'll like" He added with a smile. “Give me a call if you like it.”
__________________________________
Later that night, while I was at the local gym kickboxing against dummies, a girl came into the training area with gym clothes and a duffle bag. She put her stuff down and strode over to my position.
"Is it true what I hear about what you did to Dr. Who?" She asked with a smirk and laugh.
"Only if you want it to be" I huffed through punches and kicks. Finally slowed down to get a breather.
"Yeah he wasn't too happy about it. What do you think he's going to do? Expell you?"
"I suppose, but I hate that place anyway." I looked over to see she had a pamphlet like mine.
"Some guy give you that? I got one too." I said, getting back to work.
"Yeah, some new space travel to a planet. I'm going." I stopped again. Not for air, but I hadn't read mine yet, so I had no clue what it was about. "Space travel? That sounds cool. I might go."
"Well, were both qualified if we are both here." We both worked out for a bit, then I packed my stuff to leave. She turned to me as I was about to walk through the exit. "My name is Cat, by the way."
"I'm Mike. Nice to meet you." I turned away and left. Going to another planet? Ha, yeah right...

Chapter 7 - The heist

1 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger Epic Ahab said...

Ohhh something tells me you will go to another planet. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home