Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Chapter 5 - Friends in high places

"fffffffffttt...BOOM!"
We all ducked as an RPG slammed into the monster's chest. The blasted beast let out a moan and stumbled around a few feet before hitting the ground like a sack of potatoes. As i ran to help Hans up I looked at the remains of what was the beast. The rocket ended up blowing a hole clean through the chest from one side to the other. I looked over to see Thunder wielding what appeared to be some cannon.

"A little gift from our friends at Omegatron" He said, marching toward our rattled but still alive unit. "Figure you girls were all dead by now so I can to drag your corpses back to base."
"Thank you sir" Hans gasped. "Besides...why you alone with no backup?"
"The rest of the teams that return to base AS THEY WERE TOLD..." He glared at us. "Have been planning a rescue mission to Fort Fury. Latest intelligence reports tell us that a scientist who came over before we did has not communicated with us yet. He was supposed to have radioed in from a town called Atlas Haven at about 20:00 hours, but no signal. Thus, in two days we are sending a group of about 30 men to investigate the area and find Dr. Baltar. Hopefully it's not too late..."
My hope raised up a bit. "So when is our briefing for the mission then sir?"
"YOUR mission? That's not your mission cadet. Your unit will sit back and listen to the reports from the command center, where you hopefully can't mess that up too bad." Dangit, all the other guys were going to have fun while we did radio calls.
"Sir, with all due respect, you will need every man out there. We don't know who or what is out there and..." Jared started.
"ENOUGH!! All of you!" Thunder rowored. "Don't make me have you scrubbing toilets!"
"yes sir..." Jared sheeply let out. Needless to say, it was a long trip back to base.
------------
"Get up Bunny!"
hmmm...too early...keep sleeping I told myself...maybe he'll bug off...
"Come 'on, up and at 'em!"
Suddenly the nice comfortable bed that was once below me disappeared, and the hardwood floor met me next.
"Dam it Sean, can't a guy get some sleep around here..?.."I trailed off. I look at my watch...02:00?!?!
"What the heck are you waking me up at 2 A.M. for?! The horn blast is at 06:00 newbie!" I grabbed a nearby towel to clean up the blood spill from my nose hitting the floor.
"Come on Bunny, got to see this!" Sean whispered quickly. "It's awesome!"
"I'm sure it can wait till dawn" I hissed.
"No, now!" Jared burst into the room. Without notice, Sean and Jared picked me up by the arms and legs, and carried me out of the barrackā€™s door.
They must have carried me at least 100 yards away from base camp until they put me down. Along with them were a small crowd of people all huddled around an octagonal shape arena. Inside were two people who were boxing each other. I noticed that one was about a foot taller than his opponent, but the smaller fighter was built. They were was almost pure muscle, thus that would explain why the stronger one was beating the crap out of the tall guy. Though I didn't know why, I started to join in on the fun, yelling for the victor.
However, the next part I was not prepared for: I was picked up and, though I struggled profusely, was put in the ring with the built fighter. I ran for the door but it was bolted shut from the outside.
"Come on, big boy, show me what you got." I turned to face my opponent. Not only was she built, but she had either her blood or the other guy.
Now, as a general rule of thumb hitting a girl was going against everything I went for. I would have kept debating it if she didn't start punching me in the gut. I really never hit anything before, but I just swung half through instinct and half through sheer anger, and knocked her butt on the floor of the cage. Now, whether it was her being surprised I could do such a move or me knowing I had five years of wrestling and sword fighting back at my old high school, I felt good for once. The crowd cheered, she looked PO'ed, and came back for more. We fought for what seemed like 30 minutes until she threw in the towel. After we both exited the arena, she grabbed my arm before I could go further.
"What's your name?" She asked through panting and sweating.
"Call me bunny. Yours?" She paused for a few seconds, as if in deep thought.
"Cat." I stood still. That name sounded familiar. Where did I remember that name...?
The place was still full until the sun started to peek over the horizon, then we all scrambled from the place knowing we would have our heads on plates if the CO didn't find us in bed.

Chapter 6 - Flashback

4 Comments:

At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice story.

Any globals?

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Oddbunny said...

Only 1...but she ended up beating it ;P

 
At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn.:)

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Epic Ahab said...

There is some nice dialog in this section...okay scrolling up. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home